Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Field Experience 04/14/11

For my field work I was at Timpanogos Elementary School in the Provo School District.  I was placed in a 4th grade classroom with Bridgette as my partner.

The first week of class they had some testing and parent teacher conferences so we just observed and did what the teacher needed us to do.  We got a feel for the class and then the next two weeks we taught our 5 social studies lessons.

It amazed me how much I am lacking in the classroom management area.  Before our first lesson that we taught the only advice that our teacher gave was that we better have good classroom management techniques or else we would be in trouble.  Of course that is the main thing that I struggled with the entire time. 
But other then that, our experience went really well and the students were responsive to our lessons.

Since the 4th grade social studies curriculum focuses solely on  Utah's history, we decided to do our digital story on the pioneers.  We had already had an introductory lesson on pioneers so we played this video at the beginning of our lesson and it was pretty powerful.  It showed the realities and the struggles that the pioneers had coming across the trail.  The students got very serious after and had learned so much from it and made some great comments about it.  They were all very grateful that they weren't the ones having to go through all of that just to get here.

Overall my experience went extremely well.  Bridgette was an amazing partner and I didn't just learn from our teacher, I learned a lot from her as well.  Our digital story went great and it was fun to see our class progress in the short time that we had with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment