Thursday, April 14, 2011

04/14/11-Strengths and Weaknesses

Looking at the standards for the NETS I could do all of the things that it said in each category, but I could only do them to a certain extent.  I understand technology and the programs, but when I get to a certain point I can only do so much.  Looking over the NUI survey I would say that I am under the category of apprentice for the most part, but in a few categories I would be a practitioner, which I was very pleased with myself to feel that would be correct.  Technology and I have never really gone hand in hand, so even though I still do not know how to do a lot, I have come a long way.  I would say I just need to be constantly keeping up on technology.  Reading articles, doing tutorials on different programs, etc.

As a teacher I will use technology in my classroom as often as I can.  After being in field at Timpanogos Elementary School, seeing each student have their very own computer at their desk was amazing to see.  Whenever the teacher wanted them to do something hands on, she would have them go online and look things up themselves.  What better way of learning then going out there on  your own and finding it for yourself.  After reading the different articles for this assignment it just made me believe even more how the hands on learning that technology gives is very crucial.  I remember being in school and just being bored in lectures, but if there is lecturing and looking up information on the internet, whether it is surfing on your own, or going to specific sites that the teacher gives you, it gives you a sense independency because you are finding it yourself.  If my classroom does not have a set of computers for each student I will be sure to have computer lab time as well as have students do some homework online.  If all of my students have access to a computer I would even like to have them submit assignments online, except for math because I would need to see their work.

Some workshops that I can do to improve on is tutorials on programs that can benefit our students.  I think that having a class blog would be great for students to see their progress as well as parents and other individuals.  I don't know a whole lot about blogger or word press right now, but I could read up on some tutorials and figure it out.  Also be reading in the news what new sites or programs are going to be helpful or big in classrooms and be sure that I take tutorials on those as well.  Something else that I can be doing is taking a technology class every few weeks to keep up to date as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment