Thursday, April 14, 2011

04/14/11-Lessons Learned

First, I do have some concerns with technology.  The article that had me worry a little bit was the Teen Disconnect article.  This article really surprised me, and not only in one way, but in a few different ways.  I was surprised to see that students didn't think that they way they write in their personal lives is actual writing.  Looking at all of the emoticons and abbreviations I would agree with them, but then why do they do it?  I guess that is the question that comes into my mind.  What concerned me the most in this article was that students were putting the blame on teachers for their writing in the classroom.  They said that their writing would be better if teachers worked on it more.  First off, they are choosing to write in that texting lingo in their personal lives so that is affecting their school lives.  Second, teachers do teach writing, but our days are so packed with other just as important information that has to be taught as well, that we do not have time to spend on helping those students who are not writing the proper way or using the proper grammar needed.

Another concern that I had was with the WWW article.  I agreed with a lot of the things it said, well most of it actually, but it concerns me that kids will have as much access that they do at all times.  The internet is a powerful thing, it holds a lot of amazing information and things to help us, but it also contains some scary things as well. Maybe this is more of a concern for my own children, then it is for my students, but I don't want either of them to be accessing things that I don't want them to be accessing, or spending money all of the time that is not theirs. 

Other then those two concerns, I agreed with everything else that was said.  I really enjoyed reading up on these, I think they are great resources.  Something that I thought was extremely interesting was the Did You Know? youtube video.  I was shocked to read all of that information.  I also agree that technology if integrated correctly and across the entire curriculum will be extremely effective.  It opens up a whole new world of resources and information to us.  It helps students have discovery learning and be active.  They can find things for them selves so these once boring subjects are now hands on and fun.  It also gives the students a sense of being independent because they are learning on their own, they are finding out this information for themselves instead of just being told by a teacher.  I think we are going to come  a long way in education and technology is going to be the reason why.  As teachers we just need to be sure that we stay current and up to date on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment